[Mapserver-users] MapServer 4 Compile Error on RedHat 7.3

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Nov 11 10:24:23 EST 2003

On 2003.11.11 15:58, Dirk Geschwandtner wrote:

>> You might accidentally have 2 versions of gdal on your system? Try
>> "ldconfig -p | grep gdal". The output should be something like:
>>
>> libgdal.1.1.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so
>> libgdal.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1
>> libgdal.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so
>
> This is my output:
>
> libgdal.1.1.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.so
> libgdal.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1
> libgdal.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so
>
> Still no change, sorry...

Things start to dawn here... My own output was also bad, but I haven't
recompiled mapserver since gdal moved to libtool supported compilation
so no errors yet occured.
Check the dates of the files that were in your ldd ouput. You will see
that the libgdal.1.1.so is older than the others. Recently, gdal
changed its compilation method and hence the name of the .so files. You
should probably remove the libgdal.1.1.so, rerun ldconfig, then try to
recompile mapserver. Probably you will have to rerun ./configure for
mapserver for it to find the new gdal? If it complains now that it
cannot find gdal this means that the mapserver configure script has not
yet been adapted to the new gdal name. Then you can recompile gdal
using the '--without-libtool' switch which will - I think - use not
only the old mechanism but only the old name. Please, some of the gdal
developers, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Sorry I can't try this myself here at the moment. But this should be
it.

Cheers,
Vincent.