[Mapserver-users] application opinions

Nicolas Boretos nicolas at mail.maich.gr
Sat Nov 15 10:04:09 EST 2003

Hi,

I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys wrt an application using ms.
In this app, a user:

*submits some input parameters via a web form
*an econometric model is run utilizing these params
*the output file is parsed and a dbf file is updated
*user is re-directed to ms for querying/zooming etc.The dbf file that is updated is the attribute file of the shape file use for mapping

While this scenario seems ok for a single user, I think that things would getconfusing for multiple users; meaning how to separate userA's updated dbf from userN's dbf...Keeping multiple copies of the shape/dbf is kind of costly as the dbf is 25Mb, and the shape is ~10Mb...

AFAIK, ms-cgi works with a shape/dbf pair of the same name. Can you have ms work with additional  dbf and the same shape file?
In the app, I need to update only 4, out of 57 fields, by ~39000 records, so the thinking would be to use the original dbf and create an additional user[pid].dbf for the duration of the user sesion...

i am sure that there other things I did not think about, so feedback would be welcome.....

regards,

nicolas boretos