[Mapserver-users] advanced query functionality

Ryan, Adam ARyan at co.linn.or.us
Mon Nov 17 11:56:06 EST 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AD2B.B106AEB0

Hi,

I'd like to gauge the feasibility of combining feature and attribute queries
as well as adding to / selecting from / xoring a selection before I get knee
deep in PHP code and get stuck.

Using mapscript, I'd like to take a saved query and a new query (from
queryByAttributes, queryByRect, queryByPoint, etc.) and compare the two to
produce a third query result depending on the user's selection type (NEW,
AND, OR, XOR).  Then I'd save this query and return it to the user who would
be able to refine it again using a box or point or submitting attributes.
This would go on indefinitely.

Is this possible?  Could I, would I have to compare results index by index,
or is there some way to compare result sets on a whole.  Could I use
array_intersect and array_diff to do this?  I've done a lot of Avenue code
in ArcView and use the bitmap class quite a bit to do this, such as
Bitmap1.And(Bitmap2).

Any suggestions and/or links to sites already employing this type of
interface would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam Ryan
GIS Analyst
Linn County GIS Department
County Courthouse / Room 25
300 SW Fourth Ave.
Albany, OR 97321
541.812.8760
aryan at co.linn.or.us

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AD2B.B106AEB0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>advanced query functionality</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi, </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'd like to gauge the feasibility of combining feature =
and attribute queries as well as adding to / selecting from / xoring a =
selection before I get knee deep in PHP code and get stuck.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Using mapscript, I'd like to take a saved query and a =
new query (from queryByAttributes, queryByRect, queryByPoint, etc.) and =
compare the two to produce a third query result depending on the user's =
selection type (NEW, AND, OR, XOR).&nbsp; Then I'd save this query and =
return it to the user who would be able to refine it again using a box =
or point or submitting attributes.&nbsp; This would go on =
indefinitely.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is this possible?&nbsp; Could I, would I have to =
compare results index by index, or is there some way to compare result =
sets on a whole.&nbsp; Could I use array_intersect and array_diff to do =
this?&nbsp; I've done a lot of Avenue code in ArcView and use the bitmap =
class quite a bit to do this, such as Bitmap1.And(Bitmap2).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Any suggestions and/or links to sites already =
employing this type of interface would be appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks, </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Adam Ryan</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>GIS Analyst</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Linn County GIS Department</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>County Courthouse / Room 25</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>300 SW Fourth Ave.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Albany, OR 97321</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>541.812.8760</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>aryan at co.linn.or.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
<!--[object_id=3D#co.linn.or.us#]--></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AD2B.B106AEB0--