[Mapserver-users] PHP Mapscript Installation

Fraser MacLeod fraserm at terravistaltd.com
Mon Nov 17 10:49:59 EST 2003

Hi;

I have installed Mapserver 4.0.1 from RPM (Mandrake 9.2), and PHP 4.3.4.
As a result I expected to find that I had PHP Mapscript 4.0.1 (released
October 2003).

Using phpinfo() I get the following information:
MapServer version 4.0.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=SHAPEFILE
PHP MapScript Version ($Revision: 1.177 $ $Date: 2003/07/30 19:01:31 $)

However when running a small test file (taken from PHP Mapscript 3.5 By
Example HOWTO), I get the following error:

Fatal error: Due to thread-safety problems, php_mapscript cannot be used
as a
'apache2handler' module. You will have to reconfigure your PHP as a CGI
run this version of MapScript. See
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI. in
/var/www/html/terraVX/pda/test.phtml on line 4

I have tried compiling PHP Mapscript from the latest php and mapserver
source trees, but no change.

Any suggestions on how I can get or build php_mapscript.so to get around
these problems.

Fraser