[Mapserver-users] Setting the classindex of a shapeObj() has no effect

Bjoern Platzen bplatzen at sosnetz.de
Tue Nov 18 18:36:55 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I'm still messing around with PythonMapScript...
With a lot of help from the list, I am now able to create queryable
Features for a layer. Now I want to show my points with different
symbols. In my database-table, Ive got a field for a category. If the
category-field contains '1', the point should be drawn with the CLASS
0, otherwise with CLASS 1.

Here's the layer-definition in the mapfile:
LAYER
  NAME 'baustellen'
  TYPE POINT
  STATUS on
  CLASS
    Symbol 'bau'
  END#class
  CLASS
    Symbol 'db'
  END#class
  TEMPLATE 'rahmen2.html'
  TOLERANCE 50
END#LAYER
END # Map File

Here's the code-snippet, that produces the points:
for l in r[1]:
    #r[1] is the resultset[[pointx,pointy,date1,date2,category],[..],..]
    newPoint = mapscript.pointObj()
    newPoint.x = l[0]
    newPoint.y = l[1]
    newLine = mapscript.lineObj()
    newLine.add(newPoint)
    newShape = mapscript.shapeObj(mapscript.MS_SHAPE_POINT)
    newShape.add(newLine)
    newShape.index=l[6]
    if l[4]=='1':#l[4] contains the category
        newShape.classindex = 0
    else:
        newShape.classindex = 1
    myLayer.addFeature(newShape)

All features are displayed with the symbol defined in CLASS 0.

I thought classindex would be an attribute of the shapeObj() that is
read- and writeable.

What will I have to do to display my Points with different
symbols/classes??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bye,

Bjoern