[Mapserver-users] MS4.0 and Raster (GeoTiff) assistance needed

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 20 10:05:24 EST 2003

Phil Shevlin wrote:
> I have a map with a number of layers working.  I am trying to include a
> raster layer (.tif).  When I include the layer:
>
>   LAYER
>     NAME "Test"
>     STATUS ON
>     DATA "E:/Inetpub/wwwroot/mapserver/raster/4424.tif"
>     TYPE RASTER
>     TEMPLATE "template_hi.html"
>   END
>
> The map shows but the layer does not appear.  I am assuming that it is a
> projection problem.  My extent is in degrees:
>
> EXTENT -81.917574 26.569844 -81.755026 26.691756
>
> But the .tfw file appears otherwise:
>
> 4.00000000000000
> 0.00000000000000
> 0.00000000000000
> -4.00000000000000
> 669000.00000000000000
> 855000.00000000000000
>
> How do I go about including this layer?  Or, can someone point me to some
> tutorials (I have found one that helps me).

Phil,

The raster is clearly in a different projection.  You will need to establish
what coordinate system it is, and properly describe it with a PROJECTION block
in the layer.  You will also need an appropriate lat/long projectio block for
the map level if your generated map is currently in lat/long.

To know the coordinate system you will have to look at your dataset and
talk to whoever you got it from.

Good luck,