[Mapserver-users] Beginner - WFS Setup Questions

Justin Chan justin at augsignals.com
Mon Sep 8 09:32:21 EDT 2003

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C375EC.1A98D0A0

Hello, I am interested in using mapserver to display certain features =
and their corresponding attributes. I understand that mapserver will =
allow me to accomplish this. However, after reading the documentation on =
setting up WFS and the MySQL database, I was very confused. I am hoping =
that someone will be able to help me.=20
My project requires me to develop an application such that a feature =
would be displayed on a map, and upon clicking that feature, certain =
attributes such as name of the image, ownership, a user provided =
description and other text data would be displayed. It is my =
understanding that this information can be stored in a MySQL database =
and WFS can somehow access this data and return it.

In order to accomplish these tasks, I believe that I must do the =
following,

1. download source, set flag to allow mapserver to act as a WFS client
2. set up the MySQL database
3. set up a map file to display the feature
4. inform WFS of the loaction of the mapfile and the database.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do these steps, so any help would be =
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C375EC.1A98D0A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello, I am interested in using =
mapserver to=20
display certain features and their corresponding attributes. I =
understand that=20
mapserver will allow me to accomplish this. However, after reading the=20
documentation on setting up WFS and the MySQL database, I was very =
confused. I=20
am hoping that someone will be able to help me. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My project requires me to develop an =
application=20
such that a feature would be displayed on a map, and upon clicking that=20
feature,&nbsp;certain attributes such as name of the image, ownership, a =
user=20
provided description and other text data would be displayed. It is my=20
understanding that this information can be stored in a MySQL database =
and WFS=20
can somehow access this data and return it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In order to accomplish these tasks, I =
believe that=20
I must do the following,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. download source, set flag to allow =
mapserver to=20
act as a WFS client</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. set up the MySQL =
database</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. set up a map file to display the=20
feature</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4. inform WFS of the loaction of the =
mapfile and=20
the database.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unfortunately, I do not know how to do =
these steps,=20
so any help would be greatly appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Justin</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01C375EC.1A98D0A0--