[Mapserver-users] mapserver on Caldera Openlinux

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Sep 10 16:34:21 EDT 2003

Jon Shorie wrote:

> Has anybody tested mapserver running on Caldera Openlinux2.3 or 3.1?
>
> I am wondering just in case SCO wins their lawsuit against IBM and Linux.  SCO
> has said that they will not sue their customers so I am looking at options
> that will let us run our various applications on Caldera (or SCO) products.

I sincerely hope that those who are worried by the outcome of this
lawsuit would *not* consider using SCO's products as an option.

If I'm not mistaken, this is just about the 2.4 kernel, so older
versions of Linux would be good options.  *BSD would be good options
too, Solaris x86, etc.  Of course I could be completely wrong here.
Anyway, I would do lots of research myself before going with SCO's
software or before encouraging any other company that tries to use
patents and lawsuits to make money instead of developing innovative
software to compete fairly with their competitors.

My 0.02$

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca