[Mapserver-users] can I use different symbols in the same dynamic layer?

Frieso ter Haseborg ter-haseborg at sf-datentechnik.de
Tue Sep 23 03:45:55 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm using PHP/MapScript to draw dynamic point-layers in a map. What I
would like to do is using different symbols for different points in the
same layer. Is there any way to achieve this using the mapfile
(expressions or something) or can this be done using PHP/MapScript?

Here are parts of my setup:

//points are created with mapscript
[...]
$pt = ms_newPointObj();
$pt->setXY( -700000, 5950000 );
$pt->draw($map, $layer, $image, 0, "Pt1");
[...]

//Symbol- and label-attributes are specified in the mapfile.
[...]
LAYER
NAME p
TYPE POINT
STATUS ON
#CLASSITEM "" //is there a classItem when creating a layer dynamic?
	CLASS
		SYMBOL 17
		COLOR 128 128 255
		SIZE 35
		#EXPRESSION "" //would this work, when having a
classitem on a dynamic layer?
		LABEL
			POSITION AUTO
		END
	END
END
[...]

I had some attempts using a class/expression, but since I don't know the
correct classItem I think this can't work. Well, is there a possible
"classitem" at all, when the layer isn't retrieved from a shapefile?

Is there a way to do this, or must there be different layers for each
symbol-type?

Any hints would be appreciated.

TIA,

Frieso ter Haseborg