[Mapserver-users] Mapserver 4.0 as WMS server issuing transparent PNG

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 26 10:50:43 EDT 2003

Lars V. Nielsen wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Today I've (finally) migrated to Mapserver 4.0, and needed to migrate
> several locally cascaded WMS services too. All but one of these are used
> to generate backdrops, i.e. not transparent, but a single service is
> used to publish thematic layers to be shown on top of other layers. So
> this service needs to issue transparent map images, and therefore I'm
> using PNG.
>
> However, only the surrounding area is transparent, not the interior of
> the polygons features, even though these are set to 50% transparency.
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> It worked in Mapserver 3.6.3 with 8bit PNG's, and all I've done is add a
> single OUTPUTFORMAT + IMAGETYPE clause to the MAP file used by the
> service (set to 24bit PNG with RGBA). The layers/data it reads are all
> locally saved MapInfo TAB tables.

Lars,

Note that with 32bit PNG files (RGB+alpha), a 50% transparency area will
actually be 50% opaque.  I'm not sure how this used to be handled.  The
whole area of alpha blending has been a source of problems since upgrading
to GD 2 and non-eight bit output.  I would suggest you prepare an small
isolated configuration that reproduces the problems, and submit it in
Bugzilla assigned to me, and I will dig into it.

Best regards,