[Mapserver-users] Mapserver 4.0 as WMS server issuing transparent PNG

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 26 11:24:33 EDT 2003

Lars V. Nielsen wrote:

> Today I've (finally) migrated to Mapserver 4.0, and needed to migrate
> several locally cascaded WMS services too. All but one of these are used
> to generate backdrops, i.e. not transparent, but a single service is
> used to publish thematic layers to be shown on top of other layers. So
> this service needs to issue transparent map images, and therefore I'm
> using PNG.
>
> However, only the surrounding area is transparent, not the interior of
> the polygons features, even though these are set to 50% transparency.
> What am I doing wrong ?

The transparency setting applies only between local layers inside
MapServer.  Setting 50% transparency in a layer served via WMS doesn't
carry the transparency to the remote WMS clients.

What you could do is produce a dithering effect to emulate transparency.
  i.e. fill your polygons with a tiny hatch pattern or a symbol that
covers only 50% of the pixels, the other half of the pixels will remain
of the background color and will end up being transparent in the WMS
GetMap output.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca