[Mapserver-users] Shapefile question

John Beisley - RSG josb at pml.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 03:46:48 EST 2004

Murilo Lacerda Yoshida wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need to create a map that represents the path that someone walked.
> For example, a guy started walking at 9:00 am at his house, and
> stopped walking at 11:00 am at his office. During this time he walked,
> he was using a gps device that was monitoring the points he passed trough.
>
> So I need to create this map. Question is what type of shapefile I
> need to create to store this data. I guess it should be MS_SHP_ARC,
> but I’m not sure. Until now I have used only MS_SHP_POLYGON shapes,
> and it would be nice if I could still use this kind of shape. And if I
> continue using MS_SHP_POLYGON shapes to draw the path the guy walked,
> will the map show all the corners, turns and other small elements of
> the path that are important?
>
> I am using PHP/MapScript.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Murilo

When I created a shapefile to draw lines (geographically placed, but for
a different purpose) I used an ARC type of shapefile. I imagine this is
what you want for drawing a track of points on a map.

- John

--
Website: www.pml.ac.uk
Registered Charity No. 1091222

The content of this message may contain personal views which are
not the views of Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically
stated.

Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free