[Mapserver-users] Mapserver - OGR - Oracle

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 4 13:53:31 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> we have been experimenting a bit lately with connecting Mapserver to
> Oracle Spatial using OGR.
>
> It seems that in the WMS interface, the bbox is not used in the query
> which is sent to Oracle Spatial, i.e. always a full-table scan is
> performed.
>
> Are we missing something here, or is this the way "Mapserver - OGR -
> Oracle" works at the moment?

Bart,

If the OGR Oracle driver believes there is a spatial index available for a
it will build sdo_filter() based test into the WHERE clause.  I would need to
reboot to test the oracle support, so it is possible the logic is broken
somewhere.

If you are interested in debugging it, I would encourage you to add some
printfs()'s in the BuildWhere() method in ogrocitablelayer.cpp and see if
the spatial query is actually be used.  If not, is it because bHaveSpatialIndex
is FALSE or because poFilterGeom is NULL.

If you become convinced there is a bug submit the details via bugzilla and I
will try to dig into it.

Best regards,