[Mapserver-users] Working with tile indexes (gdaltindex) - SOLVED

Balkanu GIS gis at balkanu.com.au
Wed Apr 7 19:48:51 EDT 2004

Thanks for all your replies,

In fact I realised (like a goose) my mistake shortly after having posted the
question. I changed the mapfile to read:

  LAYER
    NAME "Topo 250k tiled"
    GROUP "Topographic"
    STATUS ON
    TYPE RASTER
    TILEINDEX "../../../Documents and Settings/All Users/Data/Tables
(MI)/Rasters/Topo_250k/topo250.shp"
    TILEITEM "location"
    UNITS METERS
    SIZEUNITS PIXELS
    MINSCALE 50000
    MAXSCALE 700000
    CLASS
    END
  END

...but I still had no luck. Curious (and aren't we all a curious bunch?), I
checked my Apache log which gave me the vital clue:

[Thu Apr 08 09:23:40 2004] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] ERROR 4:
`c://ms4w/apps/maplab-2.1/cape/../../../../Documents and Settings/All
Users/Data/Sd5412.tif' does not exist in the file system,
, referer: http://XXXXXXXXXXXXX/maplab/mapedit/preview.phtml
[Thu Apr 08 09:23:40 2004] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] and is not
recognised as a supported dataset name.
, referer: http://XXXXXXXXXXXXX/maplab/mapedit/preview.phtml
[Thu Apr 08 09:23:40 2004] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx]
, referer: http://XXXXXXXXXXXXX/maplab/mapedit/preview.phtml

The tile index was giving only a file name (e.g. Sd5412.tif), and Mapserver
was searching in the base data directory for it. However, the file was
located deeper in the directory than that. So I opened the index's DBF file
in Excel and added the extra directories in front of the file name, so that
instead of reading "Sd5412.tif", the 'location' column read "Tables
(MI)/Rasters/Topo_250k/Sd5412.tif".

It worked! Now to index that other set of 70 rasters! Thanks again for your
suggestions. Hope this might help someone else. Moral: Make sure the path in
your index file is correct.

Yuri