Where to get RADAR data? was: Re: [Mapserver-users] variable (proportionately) sized point data

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Apr 22 22:20:17 EDT 2004

The pixellation you see as you zoom in is, in fact, the way you want to
see the data.  We're not making a radar mosaic as a pretty picture,
here, both Daryl and I are making operational graphic overlays on our
maps.  The pixellation is representative of the data binning that takes
place: Doppler radar isn't a smooth function, but a regionalized, binned
process:  The area of each bin is currently roughly 1km x 1km. The color
value, on the base reflectivity images (the ones Daryl and I make more
readily available) has a reflectivity in dBz associated with each color
(and I need to get that scalebar back up...).  Velocities have a value
associated with point-relative velocity in m/sec.

If we made it a continuous color function we'd lose data in making it
pretty.

Hope this helps!
Gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173