[Mapserver-users] A newbie question about Esri .mdb files

Norbert Thieme norbert.thieme at ilmenau.baw.de
Wed Apr 28 07:36:42 EDT 2004

Nico Alberti schrieb:
> Hi everybody.
>
> After some successful tries in publishing some Esri's "traditional" data
> files (.shp, .shx, .dbf etc.) I would like to know if I can do the same
> with MapInfo geospatial data "buried" in an .mdb file together with
> their aphanumeric attributes.
>
> I am no expert of the gis world, and this is probably a lame question.
> Anyway, the data I am referring at are databases where each layer data
> is stored in a .mdb table. The fields are called:
>
> OBJECTID (counter)
> Shape (blob)
> and so on
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice. Any suggestion will be greatly
> appreciated.

Hi,

I only can give you a quick hint because I didn't use this possibility.
So you have to try yourself. Perhaps someone else can give you more
useful advises.

If you have mapscript running with ogr support you can use an odbc
connection to your .mdb (try "ogrinfo --formats" to see if your ogr is
compiled with odbc support - you will need that). Then you have to look
at your data to decide what you need to do. I don't know if you can use
your data direct in the mapserver with ogr or if you need to look for
another way (e.g. read the geometry information from your database and
then add it as new features to a layer).

Here are some links for more information:

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/ogr/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbcodbc_api_reference.asp

Regards,
Norbert