[Mapserver-users] communicating with arcmap

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Apr 29 13:56:12 EDT 2004

Welcome to the group.  Mapserver can provide maps in multiple formats, the
most common in use is through a web page that has a map in it.  Non so
common, being increasingly in popularity is the need to request a
georeferenced image from mapserver.  In essence, this can be done using
the Open GIS Consoritum Web Mapping Service (WMS) specification. MapServer
can provide access to map data using this specification.  ArcMap 8.3 has
an "interoperability" add-on that you can download for free from ESRI
(link anyone?) that will allow you to access WMS data sources.  You will
need access to a MapServer that is configure to provide WMS information.

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you need me to elaborate on any of these
points.  There are others on the mailing list who do more WMS stuff than I
do!!

Tyler