R: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] MIGRATING SHAPE IN MYSQL

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at XS4ALL.NL
Wed Aug 11 05:07:21 EDT 2004

Hi Alberto,

MySQL has spatial datatypes in 4.1 (alpha) if I am not mistaken, but
Mapserver does not have a data connector for that. See also this link for
a review:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2003-June/002651.html

So I assume you are talking about the MyGIS option, there is a Perl
utility which can write your shapefile to the MyGIS format, but all that I
know is from the Wiki page.

PostGIS is a spatial extension for PostgreSQL, and is a lot more mature.
There are several tools to get your shapefile data into postgis, shp2pgsql
or ogr2ogr from Frank Warmerdam. There are also very good tutorials (see
the proceeding from the Ottawa meeting) to get you started with PostGIS. I
found it easy to get started.

http://www.omsug.ca/osgis2004/proceedings.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,