3D shapefile: OGR

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Wed Aug 11 11:14:58 EDT 2004

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am trying to use a 3D shapefile with Mapserver, and found in the archive
> that this is only supported through the OGR connection.
>
> It works, but it does not use the quadtree index, which makes it very
> slow. What do I need to do to make it faster? Or is this is known
> limitation?

OGR doesn't support the .qix files, this is a MapServer-specific
extension. The options I can think of are:
1- convert the shapefiles to 2D using OGR2OGR
2- try tiling your shapefiles using Steve Woodbridge's shp2tile utility
3- if #1 and #2 can't work for you then perhaps you'll have to dive into
mapshape.c and make it support the 3D types (and just dropping the Z
values). That shouldn't be too hard since the latest shapelib source
already handles 3D types and can be used as a guide.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca