HostGIS Linux

Gregor Mosheh stigmata at BLACKANGEL.NET
Wed Aug 11 11:37:15 EDT 2004

We're proud to announce the initial release of HostGIS Linux! It's a new
Linux distribution that comes with an already-working map-service system:
PHP, Postgres/PostGIS, MapServer, PDF support, MapScript for Perl, Python,
and PHP, and so on. So, just run through the setup, wait a few minutes for
it to install, reboot, and start uploading map files...

Being a Linux, it is of course both free and Free.
    http://maps.hostgis.com/linux/HostGIS_Linux.zip

Please consider this a "1.0 final beta" release. Everything seems to work
just perfectly, but there will undoubtedly be a bug or two, or a feature
that's generally useful that I didn't think to include - so you may want
to test it a bit before changing your live servers over to it. ;) Please
give it a try and let me know of any problems you encounter.

After folks have stomped on this version for a while to make sure it's all
good, the goal is for v2 to offer a windows system: KDE, JUMP, GRASS,
MapLab, and other GIS tools. Those optional components would be for folks
who want to make GIS information, as opposed to just serving the maps.

--
Gregor Mosheh, B.S.     http://www.blackangel.net/

43rd Law of Computing:
         Anything that can go wr
fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped