Multiple labels along a line

David Fawcett David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Aug 17 10:14:51 EDT 2004

I think the answer may be somewhat data dependent.  How long are your
line segments?

There are two possible cases.
1. You have multiple arcs in a line and currently only the longest one
is being labeled.  If this is the case, try setting MINDISTANCE in the
label object.  This sets the minimum distance in pixels between labels.
I am not sure what the default is, so I don't know if a very small
number will give you more labels.  You may also want to set PARTIALS and
FORCE in case the labels aren't being drawn due to collisions or
trailing off of image.

2.  You have a long segment and you want to place multiple labels on the
same segment.  I don't believe that Mapserver is capable of doing that.
Of course, I may be wrong.  If the data is pretty static and you really
want this functionality, you could preprocess your data and chop it into
smaller segments.

David.

David J. Fawcett
MN Office of Environmental Assistance
>>> Berend Veldkamp <berend.veldkamp at ARIS.NL> 08/17/04 8:40 AM >>>
Hello,

Right now, when I label a line class, one label is placed on the longest
visible part of the line. Is it also possible to put multiple labels on
a line, say every 100 pixels? (Imagine a highway with several highway
shields on it)

Berend