Support for ArcZ in shapelib?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Aug 17 16:26:30 EDT 2004

Chris Helm wrote:
> Hey list-
>
> I just wanted to see if they were any plans for
> providing support for "ArcZ" shapefiles.  We recently
> had a few cross our paths and were able to work around
> the problem when we found out Mapserver and shapelib
> doesnt handle them.  But just for our knowledge we
> wanted to ask why the format is not supported?

Chris,

I think this was already recently answered here on the list.  The short answer
is that Shapelib supports ArcZ files just fine, and you can use them with
MapServer through OGR.  However, the high efficiency version of shapelib
that was integrated into MapServer some time ago does not included support for
3D or 4D shapefiles.  It could be implemented fairly easily if someone was
sufficiently motivated (assume we just want to discard the Z or M values).

Best regards,