MapServer on CD

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Wed Aug 18 05:21:30 EDT 2004

Hi,

I would just like to share one of our new products with you, as I don't
know if this feature has already been accomplished or applied by many. One
of our offices main projects is the GEO Data Portal (
http://geodata.grid.unep.ch/ ), which serves UNEP's Collaborating Centres
as means of accessing a wide range of statistical and geospatial data.
(This is the *very short* explanation!)

As Internet bandwidth is very limited in some of the areas where the
centres work, we decided to develop a CD version of the Portal. Now, we
have succeeded in offering the same functionality on the CD. One has only
to insert the CD... and off it goes: search the MySQL database, display
data as tables, graphs (with the help of JpGraph), and maps (with the help
of MMS MapScript). Nothing has to be installed on the client's computer.
This is really cool! (A small downside has it: It works only on Windows
machines...)

Thanks to all those who gave us a hand when we had problems and to the MMS
development team!

Best wishes,

Stefan

P.S.: The CD is still in Beta-version and is supposed to go out in the
beginning of November. If need is there, we could eventually send it to
those interested (or put a zip-file on a sever).

         Stefan Schwarzer
         GIS & Data Management

         UNEP/DEWA/GRID-Geneva
         Chemin des Anemones 11