Unusual problem with TrueType fonts

Michael Underwood mikeu at INTERNODE.NET
Wed Aug 18 12:46:52 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I'm getting some strange results from trying to use TTFs for symbols with
MapServer and PHP/Mapscript. No matter what font I select, I simply get a
solid rectangle. It's not the default rectangle for an invalid character or
font though - it's the bounding rectangle of the character I chose for the
symbol. For example if I use Arial and select 'c' then I get a short square;
change it to 'd' and the rectangle stays the same width but becomes taller.
I'm running on Windows and have used recent, precompiled binaries. I've
tried Arial, an ESRI font and a MapInfo font which I converted from Symbol
to Unicode. The MapInfo font (which is the one I want to use in the end) was
working properly with an old (3.x) CGI version of MapServer, but since
upgrading to 4.x and PHP it hasn't worked. I've searched through the
archives, and the web in general, but haven't been able to find any mention
of this particular problem... Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I seem to be unable to post to this list via email.  I'm submitting
this through the web interface at lists.umn.edu (hopefully it works!).  I've
sent this message by email several times over the last 12 hours or so, and
always get a bounced message with this error:

<MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>:
160.94.23.58 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>... Rejected by
user; see:
<http://umn.edu/mc/p?EAKN1@Tqd9KMcVkKk5jOQ70JzJA1IE3C0UlrPR4kqEoA2DYBjP$J8nQ>
Giving up on 160.94.23.58.

Any ideas what might be going wrong there?

Thanks,
Michael