Installation under Cygwin

Peter Sykora peter_sykora at GMX.AT
Fri Aug 20 06:54:33 EDT 2004

Hello,

I recently tried to install the mapserver under Windows using cygwin. I
followed the Wiki description step by step but I was stuck in point 5:

>5) build gdal
>    This is where things get weird and more work needs to be done.  You
>will need to run:
>    ./configure
>    make
>    make install
>    edit the installed gdal-config.  This is necesary as the install
>part of the makefile makes the choice that the library is not shared.
>The libraries that gdal-config reports are incorrectly articulated in
>the LIBS string.  Specifically the '-l' is prepended to all libraries
>independent of their shared-ness.  If the path ends with a '.a' it
>should not be prepended with -l.  Additionally, the installer requires
>the addition of -l/usr/local/lib/lib which is just clearly wrong.  Your
>mileage may vary.  One build actually went completely correct with no
>edit required.

When I have a look at my gdal-config I'm not quite sure what I have to
change when reading the paragraph above.
Here is the first part of my gdal-config:

#!/bin/sh
CONFIG_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lgdal"
CONFIG_DEP_LIBS="-lpng -lz "
CONFIG_PREFIX="/usr/local"
CONFIG_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
CONFIG_VERSION="1.2.1"
CONFIG_OGR_ENABLED=yes
CONFIG_FORMATS="gxf gtiff hfa aigrid aaigrid ceos ceos2 iso8211 xpm sdts raw
dted mem jdem envisat elas fit vrt usgsdem l1b nitf bmp pcidsk bsb gif jpeg
png "

It would be great if anybody could tell me what I have to change in there
exactly.
When I build the mapserver without any changings I get the error messages below.

Thanks in advance for any hints
Peter

Error messages:
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(jdapimin.o)(.text+0x0):jdapimin.c: multiple
definition of `_jpeg_CreateDecompress'
/lib/libjpeg.dll.a(d000062.o)(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(jdapimin.o)(.text+0xf0):jdapimin.c: multiple
definition of `_jpeg_destroy_decompress'
/lib/libjpeg.dll.a(d000075.o)(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(jdapimin.o)(.text+0x320):jdapimin.c: multiple
definition of `_jpeg_read_header'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(pngdataset.o)(.text+0x6fb):pngdataset.cpp:
undefined reference to `_png_init_io'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(pngdataset.o)(.text+0x91b):pngdataset.cpp:
undefined reference to `_png_read_rows'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(pngdataset.o)(.text+0x9d8):pngdataset.cpp:
undefined reference to `_png_get_text'
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.a(pngdataset.o)(.text+0xbb3):pngdataset.cpp:
undefined reference to `_png_sig_cmp'