Python Mapscript :: NameError: global name 'rectObj' is not defined

Sean Gillies sgillies at FRII.COM
Mon Aug 23 14:12:47 EDT 2004

Bill, I'm cc'ing to the list.  More at the bottom ...

On Aug 23, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Bill Hudspeth wrote:

> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>> On Aug 23, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Bill Hudspeth wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to create a rectangle object using Python Mapscript as
>>> such:
>>>
>>> prevExtent = rectObj(self.prev_minx, self.prev_miny, self.prev_maxx,
>>> self.prev_maxy)
>>>
>>> and get the following error message:
>>>
>>> NameError: global name 'rectObj' is not defined
>>>

>>> I have imported the mapscript module - other mapscript objects are
>>> recognized in different calls throughout my code, so that is not the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bill
>>>

>> Bill,
>>
>> There's two different styles of using mapscript classes
>>
>> 1. keep mapscript class names inside the 'mapscript' namespace:
>>
>>     import mapscript
>>     r = mapscript.rectObj()
>>
>> 2. import names into the global namespace:
>>
>>     from mapscript import rectObj
>>     r = rectObj()
>>
>> I don't recommend 'from mapscript import *'.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sean
>>
>> --
>> Sean Gillies
>> sgillies at frii dot com
>> http://users.frii.com/sgillies
>
> Hi Sean,
> Your suggestion above worked, but I am getting a new error message
> from the following line of code:
>
> prevExtent = mapscript.rectObj(self.prev_minx, self.prev_miny,
> self.prev_maxx, self.prev_maxy)
>
> The error message is:
>
> General error message: invalid bounds
>
> The variables I pass in for minx, miny, maxx, and maxy do evaluate to
> floating point utm boundaries (e.g. 580000.0 3400000.0 250799.0
> 4153198.0) - I can print them out to screen.
>
> Thanks again, Bill

I see in your example values that minx (580000.0) > maxx (250799.0).
This is invalid.
Did you get them switched up?

If you think the error message is unclear, lemme know.  I'm always open
to suggestions.
What version of MapServer are you using?

cheers,
Sean