Python Mapscript :: NameError: global name 'rectObj' is not defined

Bill Hudspeth bhudspeth at EDAC.UNM.EDU
Mon Aug 23 14:52:28 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> Bill, I'm cc'ing to the list.  More at the bottom ...
>
> On Aug 23, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Bill Hudspeth wrote:
>
>> Sean Gillies wrote:

>>> Bill,
>>>
>>> There's two different styles of using mapscript classes
>>>
>>> 1. keep mapscript class names inside the 'mapscript' namespace:
>>>
>>>     import mapscript
>>>     r = mapscript.rectObj()
>>>
>>> 2. import names into the global namespace:
>>>
>>>     from mapscript import rectObj
>>>     r = rectObj()
>>>
>>> I don't recommend 'from mapscript import *'.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Sean
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sean Gillies
>>> sgillies at frii dot com
>>> http://users.frii.com/sgillies
>>

>> Hi Sean,
>> Your suggestion above worked, but I am getting a new error message
>> from the following line of code:
>>
>> prevExtent = mapscript.rectObj(self.prev_minx, self.prev_miny,
>> self.prev_maxx, self.prev_maxy)
>>
>> The error message is:
>>
>> General error message: invalid bounds
>>
>> The variables I pass in for minx, miny, maxx, and maxy do evaluate to
>> floating point utm boundaries (e.g. 580000.0 3400000.0 250799.0
>> 4153198.0) - I can print them out to screen.
>>
>> Thanks again, Bill
>>

> I see in your example values that minx (580000.0) > maxx (250799.0).
> This is invalid.
> Did you get them switched up?
>
> If you think the error message is unclear, lemme know.  I'm always open
> to suggestions.
> What version of MapServer are you using?
>
> cheers,
> Sean
>
> --
> Sean Gillies
> sgillies at frii dot com
> http://users.frii.com/sgillies

Hi Sean,

I believe that I am deriving the extents attributes from the map file,
like this:

self.nmMap = mapscript.mapObj(self.data)
self.default_extent = self.nmMap.extent

self.prev_minx=self.default_extent.minx
self.prev_maxx=self.default_extent.maxx
self.prev_miny=self.default_extent.miny
self.prev_maxy=self.default_extent.maxy

prevExtent = mapscript.rectObj(self.prev_minx, self.prev_miny,
self.prev_maxx, self.prev_maxy)

Shouldn't the "self.default_extent.minx" entries pull out the correct
values from the map file?

my map file listing ---> EXTENT 580000 3400000 250799 4153198

Are my attributes in the call to rectObj in the correct order? Am I
missing something else?

Again, thanks. Bill