Shapefile field problem

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 2 12:27:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:39:46 -0500, Abe Gillespie <agillesp at vt.edu> wrote:
> Like I said, I used ogrinfo and everything looked fine there.  I assume
> the other tools use the same libraries so I don't expect to see
> anything different (but I also expect MapServer to use the same
> libraries too, so it's weird it's having problems).  But I will try it
> in a little bit and get back.

Abe,

MapServer uses a highly modified variation of a very old version
of shapelib which might have significantly different performance
than the generic version.  Note, there are good reasons for
why Steve did this,and I would not suggest changing it.  All
that aside, I think you should accept that no one else has
seen this problem, and submit a detailed bug report.  If you need
a prompt fix you could even motivate someone with money though
I'm sure we will look into the problem if you can provide enough detail
for us to reproduce the problem easiliy.

Best regards,