[UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] CGI Error - 4.4 Windows Binaries

Fortin,Nicolas [SteFoy] nicolas.fortin at EC.GC.CA
Fri Dec 3 11:15:38 EST 2004

Hi Fernando,

I made more tests this morning with some wierd results:

First, sometimes it works sometimes not, depending of either the zoom level or the layers activated.

If I ask for one oracle spatial layer, I got the error each time and instantly.
If I ask for an other type of layer than oracle spatial, all work fine.
If I ask for mixed type of layers with oracle spatial included, it become complicated...it seems that the order of the layers in the mapfile have an effect; if the first layer found (and asked) in the mapfile is oracle spatial, it get an error.  If it's a raster or something else, it works most of the time.

I ran FileMon to see if this is a permission or file not found issue and it's not.

I checked IIS log file and when I get an error, the http status code is 502:
2004-12-03 15:43:00 131.235.233.138 131.235.233.138 80 GET /cgi-bin/mapserv.exe 502 0 391 -
When this happens, the sc-bytes number is always 391
I searched for the meaning of http 502 and found this from the w3c.org website:
Service temporarily overloaded 502 (TO BE DISCUSSED)
The server cannot process the request due to a high load (whether HTTP servicing or other requests). The implication is that this is a temporary condition which maybe alleviated at other times.
OR
502 Bad Gateway
The server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, received an invalid response from the upstream server it accessed in attempting to fulfill the request.

First I thought that the reason is because my dev workstation is inside our firewall and Oracle Database is outside...but I tested with an Oracle database inside our firewall and the result is the same.

When I shift to previous version (4.3 with oracle spatial downloaded from maptools.org) all work fine.
Now I'm lost...

I download my binaries from Howard site at : http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/
Here's the mapserv -v result:
MapServer version 4.4.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=ORACLESPATIAL INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

How could you have such a complete log from mapserver ? When I got the error, I have no line add to my mapserver log...
I'm on Windows 2000 SP4 with IIS 5.0

Thank you very much for your help Fernando.  If someone other than Fernando has any idea of what I could do to find the solution, you're welcome!

Nicolas