Formula for converting pixels to long lat points

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Dec 6 15:35:45 EST 2004

Todd -

The first thing you should do is to ensure your geographic and image
extents are proportional; otherwise MapServer will be forced to adjust
your geographic extents and then you'll have to deduce what MapServer
did to change them.

You want to be sure that (MAXX - MINX) / WIDTH = (MAXY - MINY) / HEIGHT
so the width and height of the ground area (in degrees) are proportional
to the width and height of the image (in pixels).  In the example you
give, you want (-67 - (-125.3556)) / 449 = (49.5 - 10) / 349 (I'm
guessing on the order of the width and height).  That's not an equality,
since it computes to:

0.129968 = 0.138968

You want to change either the extents or the image size.

Once you've done that, you simply divide the width in degrees by the
width in pixels to get "degrees per pixel" or DPP: that is, DPP = (MAXX
- MINX) / WIDTH.  Then the pixel at horizontal coordinate X will have an
X-coordinate (longitude) of MINX + (X * DPP), and you do the same thing
for Y.

        - Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker