projection config in mapfile

Cord Thomas cord at LUPINEX.COM
Mon Dec 6 17:17:46 EST 2004

Have you found the documentation, particularly the documentation on the
mapfile?

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/mapfile-reference.html#projection

which also refers to ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/OF90-284.pdf

page 57 of this document starts the discussion of State Plane Coordinate
System in proj4.

State zone numbers are here:
http://www.edc.uri.edu/nrs/classes/NRS522/Tools/StatePlaneZones.htm

Maryland appears to be in zone 4126 and have the following lambert conic
projection parameters:

1st Std.Parallel    38 18 00
2nd Std.Parallel    39 27 00
CentralMeridian    -77 00 00
Origin(Latitude)    37 40 00
False Easting (m)     400000
False Northing(m)          0

Convert the degree minute second to decimal degrees:

degrees + minutes / 60 + seconds / 3600

then use the standard project format:

   PROJECTION
     "proj="
     "ellps="
     "units=ft"
     "lon_0="
     "lat_0="
     "x_0="
     "y_0="
     "k="
   END

Of course, an easier way is to use EPSG:

   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:26985"
   END

for meters