moving to shared hosting

Ethan Alpert ealpert at DIGITALGLOBE.COM
Tue Dec 7 10:59:59 EST 2004

Make sure you read the fine print on you hosting agreement before
signing up. MS can eat up your monthly transfer limits if you are not
careful. Also make sure your allowed to run/build your environment. Some
hosting agreements don't allow you to run your own database for example.
Check the versions of tools available to you too. You don't want to find
out that the wrong version of compiler is available or that SWIG is not
installed for example. Most likely you wont have access to an
installation management either (apt/rpm) so you'll need to build all
your dependencies rather than rely on precompiled binaries.

Good luck,

-e

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jon Saints
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 6:42 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] moving to shared hosting

Has anyone expirience with moving a mapserver app with
php mapscript to a shared hosting environment?

I have been learning mapserver on a develiopment
server using debian GIS project's packages. It
includes phpmapscript. On my development server I have
root access. On  the live server I have root access to
my home space only. PHP is globally installed.

what problems might i face? any advice from those you
attempted this in the past?

Thanks
Jon