Does MRSID SDK use Kakadu JPEG2000 ?

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 8 21:26:58 EST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:03:41 +1100, Richard E. Roger
<richard.roger at agric.nsw.gov.au> wrote:
> Does this mean that Lizardtech are licensing the Kakadu Software JPEG2000
> SDK to provide their (Lizardtech's) JPEG2000 capabilities?

Richard,

My understanding is that this is the same (perhaps evolved) SDK that
was developed by Mapping Science before it was absorbed into Lizardtech.
My understanding from then was that they licenced a early version of
Kakadu and built on that, making a variety of fairly significant changes to
the internals of the code.  Apparently the ERMapper JPEG2000 support
in their SDK is built on the j2000 freeware sdk.  I imagine they also have
made a variety of improvements.

GDAL provides JPEG2000 via any of Kakadu directly, the ECW SDK,
the MrSID SDK or the JasPer library.  Of these JasPer has severe
performance issues for large images.  Since the Kakadu library is not
freely available I would expect to de-emphasize it's use in GDAL in favour
of the ECW or MrSID SDK based solutions for JPEG2000 in the future.

Best regards,