[Freegis-list] MapServer/FreeGIS and the market

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Tue Dec 14 09:00:21 EST 2004

Hi Eduardo,

In Canada we are beginning to see more and more job postings that do
include experience with MapServer. I believe this is directly related to
the efforts we have made at DM to promote and sell our company, the
value that comes from the technology, and the open source software
development approach. Importantly -- this is in large part due to the
types of people we present this to - decision makers, not just technical
people. Very different arguments and messages appeal to decision makers,
and unfortunately, too often individuals or companies only promote
technical and "free" benefits of open source software.

When properly composed, from sound business fundamentals - we have
witnessed that the message can be very powerful and as a consequence of
this hard work, we have seen attitudes in Canada change dramatically in
the past four years.

The ultimate result of this has been that in the past couple of years we
have begun to see job postings for people with skills in open source
technologies -- and as this message continues to grow and spread -- I'm
confident that this will multiply in the future.

Dave

--
Dave McIlhagga
President, DM Solutions Group