Using Attributes

Ken Lord kenlord at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 20:06:19 EST 2004

Hi Bob,

Unless things have changed in the last year, you can't do it the way
you want to with shapefiles.  ... I do hope things have changed.

One way to get around it, if you have access to using MapInfo is to
create a MapInfo table containing the data you want to display,
colouring the features using a colour table with Mapinfo.

Then use an OGR connection to display the MapInfo table as a layer in
MapServer and set a STYLEITEM to "AUTO" within the layer definition.

I've done this with regional scale geology polygons over canada, so
that I could be sure the polygons were being coloured using the
standard Geological Survey of Canada colours.  If I had used a
shapefile and coloured the polygons by classes, there would have been
too many classes within the layer for MapServer to handle ... and it
would have taken an unreasonable effort to make all those classes.

In my example it did still take some effort to colour the features in
MapInfo by a colour table given the large dataset. But the end result
has been good.

Cheers,
Ken Lord
Vancouver BC