Using Attributes

Cord Thomas cord at LUPINEX.COM
Tue Dec 14 18:53:39 EST 2004

I believe the LAYER entry closest to what you want is STYLEITEM - but
reading docs, it appears to be experimental, and on how to use it is
unclear - i would guess the intention is that the attribute would point
to an indexed item in your STYLE collection.  So, this would not be
appropriate for color.

Bob Basques wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a SHP file with a "COLOR" column in it with a RGB value (255 255
> 255).
>
> How do I use this in the MAPFILE as a COLOR value?
>
> I've been looking on and off all day in the Wiki, I've come to the
> conclusion that I'm not using the correct Search term.  Does anyone have
> an example of how to use the column attribute value as the color value
> in the MAPFILE?
>

> LAYER
>  NAME 'cities'
>  DATA '<path to data>'
>  STATUS DEFAULT
>  CLASSITEM 'MUNI_NAME'
>  CLASS
>    OUTLINECOLOR 207 50 150
>    COLOR '<value of muni_name column above>'
>    SIZE 2
>    SYMBOL 'circle'
>  END
> END
>

> I think I'm having a brain freeze or something . . . . . mutter, mutter
> . . . .
>
> bobb

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.