Mapserver 4.4 timing out ( Windows Binaries )

Howard Butler hobu at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Dec 15 16:01:46 EST 2004

Mike, Jeff, and James,

The "kitchen sink" binaries are linked against libmap.dll, hence the
smaller executable footprint.

I have not tested every possible interaction of my binaries.  If the
binaries on maptools.org have the features you need, I see no reason to use
the binaries on my site.  They haven't been tested as much and are not as
widely deployed.

Another interaction that Mike alludes to is the dll stuff.  The "kitchen
sink" binaries can quickly put you in "DLL Hell", as the entire package is
dynamically linked.  If you have dlls of the same name (but different
versions, etc) in front of the ones that the build expects on the PATH,
funky things can happen. I try to include all of the dependencies with the
package (except for ones that I can't distribute).  I don't think the
maptools.org binaries have these kinds of problems, and they are likely
much easier to use.

I would be interested in getting a traceback of the error you are seeing
with jbox if you have time or want to pursue this further.  You would have
to attach a debugger to it (like MSVC, but there are others) to do
so.  With more information, I can investigate why this might be happening.

Howard