Problem with Oblique and Hotine oblique projections in proj?

Clever, Max Maxc at SPICERGROUP.COM
Fri Dec 17 11:16:14 EST 2004

Hello,

I have been trying to project Michigan state plane coordinate shapefiles (EPSG:2253 or EPSG:102690 both are LCC) onto a Mapfile defined in Michigan Georef (EPSG:102123) which is a hotine oblique mercator.  I think Proj is miscalculating the reprojection because the state plane data is showing up in the area of the false northing and easting of the georef projection.  I have checked the parameters of the projection in the EPSG file and they are correct according to http://www.michigan.gov/documents/DNR_Map_Proj_and_MI_Georef_Info_20889_7.pdf.  Also, I know that these parameters work when applied correctly, because I've written my own small VB program to convert coordinates from state plane to georef and back.  To check that proj was actually calculating the projections, I checked it by assigning the State Plane projection to the mapfile then projecting a shapefile in UTM zone 17 onto it.  That was flawless, but once I switch the Mapfile back to Georef proj miscalculates.  To see where everything has been going I have set my extents to gargantuon numbers to encompass any possible placement of the projections and has helped me find where everything was going.

So now, if it really comes down to getting dirty I think I might need to open up PROJ4's guts and check out what its doing wrong.  Hopefully though, I am the one that is screwing things up, so if anybody knows about how proj handles oblique mercators, I would be happy to hear any comments.

Also here is the portions of the mapfile that are pertinent to this message:

MAP
NAME zooba.map
STATUS ON
SIZE 400 400
EXTENT 129827.580 41110.205 823355.654 889381.112
#EXTENT 13067766 660421 13155653 722085
UNITS meters
SHAPEPATH "c:\webgisdata\zooba\v1c\"
SYMBOLSET "c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\zooba.org\zoobastart\gis\symbols.sym"
IMAGETYPE png24
FONTSET "c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\zooba.org\zoobastart\gis\fonts.list"

#GEOREF PROJECTION BASED USING GRS80 ELLIPSOID IN METERS
PROJECTION
   "init=EPSG:102123"
#   "proj=omerc"
#   "lat_0=45.30916666666666"
#   "lonc=-86"
#   "alpha=337.255555555556"
#   "k_0=0.9996"
#   "x_0=2546731.496"
#   "y_0=-4354009.816"
#   "ellps=GRS80"
#   "datum=NAD83"
#   "units=m"
#   " no_defs"

#  "init=EPSG:2253"
END #PROJECTION

  QUERYMAP
    STATUS ON
    STYLE SELECTED
    COLOR 255 255 0
  END

LAYER
  NAME easements_4_27_04.shp
  TYPE Polygon
  TRANSPARENCY 50
#  maxscale 1500000
  STATUS on
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:102123"
  END #PROJECTION
  DATA easements_4_27_04
  HEADER 'easements_4_27_04.shp_header.html'
  TEMPLATE easements_4_27_04.shp_query.html
      CLASS
        Name 'Easements'
        COLOR 100 100 231
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
      END  # CLASS

END  # LAYER

LAYER
  NAME geoeasements_4_27_04.shp
  TYPE Polygon
  TRANSPARENCY 50
  maxscale 1500000
  STATUS on
  PROJECTION
    "init=EPSG:102690"
    #"+proj=lcc"
    #"+lat_1=43.66666666666666"
    #"+lat_2=42.1"
    #"+lat_0=41.5"
    #"+lon_0=-84.36666666666666"
    #"+x_0=3999999.999984"
    #"+y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80"
    #"+datum=NAD83"
    #"+to_meter=0.3048"
    #"+no_defs"
    #"no_defs"
  END #PROJECTION
  DATA Geoeasements_4_27_04
  HEADER 'easements_4_27_04.shp_header.html'
  TEMPLATE easements_4_27_04.shp_query.html
      CLASS
        Name 'Geoeasements'
        COLOR 255 138 231
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0