[Mapserver-users] Mapserver WFS performance

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Feb 2 16:36:47 EST 2004

Here is how things work :
   - the user does a wfs request
   - in is translated in mapserver query : the query does not take into
account the maxfeatures.
    - The MAXFEATURES is taken into account when generating the
resulting   gml file

   So yes, It ends up doing the query on all the shapes in your case.

  I think we should modify mapserver low level query functions to be
able to pass a maxfeature parameter. Some of the query functions have a
mode (single or mulitple), and this notion should be extended to support
a maxfeature. Once this is done the wfs interface can take advantage of it.

  Later,

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Today I was testing Mapserver WFS on a shapefile of 450 Mb in size with
> a quadtree index.
>
> I am using no Filter (no BBOX) but only a MAXFEATURES parameter in my
> URL. Perhaps this is not the intention of Mapserver WFS, but this is
> also a potential for people to "attack" the server. It looks like
> Mapserver is reading the whole shapefile in order to give back the first
> 1 or 10 features. I stopped testing at 10 features because of the long
> response times.
>
> These are the results of my performance test:
>
> MAXFEATURES    RESPONSE_TIME [seconds]
> 1              192
> 10             210
>
> Any comments on this? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Best regards,
> Bart

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst