[Mapserver-users] Reprojection of shape file.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 6 00:08:51 EST 2004

Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> [root at vad3rZIM data]# cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=lcc
> +datum=NAD83 -r EOF

Jason,

I think I am answering something someone else has already answered ... damn
my non-linear mail reading.  But I think there is an issue with the way
you are specifing the LCC projection in this cs2cs statement.  You can use the
"-v" switch for cs2cs or proj to see what actual parameters are getting used
internally:

warmerda at gdal2200[123]% proj -v +proj=lcc +datum=NAD83
#Lambert Conformal Conic
#       Conic, Sph&Ell
#       lat_1= and lat_2= or lat_0
# +proj=lcc +datum=NAD83 +lat_1=33 +lat_2=45 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0

As you can see, PROJ is using default standard parallels of 33N and 45N.
The LCC projection would also normally have a lat_0 and and lon_0 origin
which I assume is defaulting to 0dW, 0dN.  Are you sure this is the
projection you wanted to define?  I would suggest you define all the LCC
arguments explicitly.

You might want to see:
   http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/lambert_conic_conformal_2sp.html

Best regards,