[Mapserver-users] Virtual Spatial Data

we wei mapgisnewbies at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 10:05:33 EST 2004

Frank,

Thanks a lot for your help.  The connection is working
right now and the connection throught mapserver is
working, too 'coz it didn't throw me the error like
"OGR ERROR: files not found or format not supported".

But I am now dealing with another problem that I have
no clue.  I set up a virtual file that with the
following content:

<OGRVRTDataSource>
    <OGRVRTLayer name="climate">

<SrcDataSource>ODBC:user/user at PostgresqlDSN</SrcDataSource>

        <SrcLayer>climate</SrcLayer>
        <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns"
x="long" y="lat"/>
    </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

I put my OGRVRTLayer's name as my table's name
"climate".  is it okay ? and i didn't put <LayerSRS>
'coz I am using the lat and long data without any
projection.

And my mapfile is as below:
MAP
NAME VRTDEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 400 300
SYMBOLSET ../etc/symbols.sym
EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000
UNITS METERS
SHAPEPATH "../data"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
FONTSET ../etc/fonts.txtition

WEB
IMAGEPATH "/var/html/www/VRT/imagepath/imagetmp"
IMAGEURL "/imagepath/imagetmp"
LOG "error.log"
METADATA
    "wms_title"		"Virtual Spatial Data Demo"
"wms_onlineresource"
"http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv_40?map=/var/www/html/VRT/htdocs/vrt_wms.map&service=WMS"
END

PROJECTION
"init=epsg:42304"
END

LAYER
    NAME "vrtlayer"
    TYPE POINT
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION "virtual.ovf"
    DATA "climate"
    STATUS ON
    PROJECTION
      "proj=latlong"
    END
    CLASS
      SYMBOL 2
      SIZE 8
      COLOR 0 0 0
    END
END

And i put the mapfile and the .ovf file in the same
location.

and then I used the wms to open this image as this

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv_40?map=/var/www/html/VRT/htdocs/vrtdemo.map&service=WMS&request=getmap&version=1.1.1

However, I got something weird.  It gave me a whole
bunch of odd characters like the boxs and something
else but starts with &PNG.  It didn't generate an
image to me.

Do you have any idea of what's going wrong or do you
have any method for me to generate more information
for debugging?

Thanks!