[Mapserver-users] WMS Solution: PHP/Mapscript vs CGI?

peng zhang pierrezhang at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 7 10:22:04 EST 2004

<DIV class=RTE>list:</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>My application should be&nbsp;WMS compliant, both server and client. Obviously Mapserver CGI is good choice, simple and powerful for WMS server. actually I already set it up, and it works well. But I also need to&nbsp;the functionility&nbsp;to&nbsp;intergrate layers from other WMS-compliant instance. One approach is to add&nbsp;new layers dynamically, whose CONNECTIONTYPE should be WMS,&nbsp;to local mapfile (my local server as cascading WMS)&nbsp;when&nbsp;users choose layers from other WMS instance like Maplab's Mapbrowser.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>The problem is:</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>It seems that with Mapserver CGI&nbsp;I cannt add new layers to mapfile&nbsp;on-the-fly. Is it right? </DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>If so, should I turn to PHP/Mapscript?&nbsp;But I didnt find&nbsp;any instance that use PHP/Mapscript as WMS&nbsp;server. Is there any&nbsp;tutorial, demo or&nbsp;how-to on set up WMS server by PHP/Mapscript?&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>Thanks in advance!</DIV>
<DIV class=RTE>pierre</DIV>