[Mapserver-users] Size/length limitation for PostGIS queries?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Feb 9 09:30:48 EST 2004

Havard Tveite wrote:
> Is there a size/length limitation on PostGIS queries?
>
> I have experienced errors for PostGIS queries throught Mapserver
> for long PostGIS queries. A CONNECTION string with 568 characters
> crashes, while a CONNECTION string with 491 characters is OK.
> The only difference between the strings is that in the long one,
> the table names have been included as prefixes of all columns in
> the query, while in the shorter one, the table names have been
> omitted where possible.

I didn't do a very deep investigation, but I noticed before that
mappostgis.c seems to use fixed size arrays to manipulate the queries,
so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a limit to the size of the
queries it can handle.

I think this should be fixed to use more dynamic buffer allocations.
Perhaps you could file a bug about this.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca