[Mapserver-users] Recommendations for multiple query of invisible layers.

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at aero-graphics.com
Mon Feb 9 15:55:33 EST 2004

Quoting Ed McNierney <ed at topozone.com>:

> Jason -
>
> I'm not sure I understand - are these georeferenced images?  I don't
> care whether they're orthorectified, but if you don't have the
> geographic extent of each image I don't see how you're going to do what
> you originally wanted to do.
>
> 	- Ed

The aerial photos only have a center WGS84 point. This was created while the
plane was in flight using GPS.

So in the most basics of georeferencing yes they are but I do not have actual
TIFF World files for them nor are they GeoTIFFs. That is, the upper left
coordinate and pixel sizes etc do not exist but I do have a known coordinate
point on the photo and I know its angle of rotation from true north.

As far as I know I need these world files or the images need to be GeoTIFFs in
order to 1)Even put the photos into place and hence reference the query area
back to them. 2)Use tileindex to create a shape file indexing the tiff files.

In order to make the world files I would have to generate the upper left
coordinate based off of the center coordinate I have, the pixel size generated
from the scale of the photography and the angle of rotation from true north
(kappa?).

I think for now I am simply going to use a shape file. Ill work towards having
this data stored in a db later.

Thanks.