[Mapserver-users] Display point layer with symbols

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Wed Feb 18 05:41:16 EST 2004

Hi Stefan,

you have to create a symbol definition for each gif-symbol you need. Do
this in your symbolset defintion file. Add something like:

SYMBOL
   NAME 'gold'
   TYPE pixmap
   IMAGE 'gold.gif'
   TRANSPARENT 5 # The index of the transparency color
END

In your map-file, create a class for each ressource (use the class
expression to define the set of points that belong to one class based on
an attribute of the underlying dataset) and in the class symbol use the
name of your gif-symbol, e.g.: SYMBOL "gold" .

Cheers, Michael

Stefan Schwarzer schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> I am sure this is an easy question and has been raised already. But I
> haven't found any explanations in the archives. So perhaps someone could
> rapidly give me an advice:
>
> I don't want to display the points in a point-layer but gif-symbols
> instead, representing for example Gold, Diamonds, Uranium etc.
>
> How do I achieve that?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Stefan
>
>         _______________________________________
>
>         Stefan Schwarzer
>         Consultant on GEO
>
>         UNEP/DEWA/GRID-Geneva
>         Chemin des Anemones 11
>         CH - 1219 Chatelaine
>         Switzerland
>
>         Tel: (+41) 22.917.83.49
>         Fax: (+41) 22.917.80.29
>
>         Email: stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
>         Internet: http://geodata.grid.unep.ch/

Michael Schulz                                in medias res
Dipl.-Geologe                              Gesellschaft für
                                 Informationstechnologie mbH
                                      In den Weihermatten 66
		                             79108 Freiburg
                                      0761 55695-95 (Fax 96)