[Mapserver-users] List as Forum??

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 23 12:58:39 EST 2004

Liz Godwin wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Last week was one of those weeks when I was really hunting for answers
> to various questions.  In doing so, I have come to appreciate forums
> compared to mailing lists for finding information, and especially for
> following threads.  The activity on this mailing list is so great that I
> find it hard to follow.  I have messages filtered into a separate
> folder, but that's not enough.  I also find the archive difficult to
> search, both index and thread pages usually sqewing the results of a
> query.
>
> I propose that this list be migrated to a forum.  Who hosts it is
> another question. The most logical host would be UMN's mapserver site.
>
> Any one else have comments to this?  Are there reason's NOT to migrate
> to a forum?  It just seems silly to have 1000 mailboxes filled with 40
> (yesterday's count) messages a day (or 1 really long one if digested)
> when they can be posted on a common site where we can go look at it,
> sorted by thread, grouped into categories/levels whatever.  It's more
> "user friendly" IMHO.

Folks,

I, for one, like receiving my mapserver related communication via email.
In theory I wouldn't mind having things migrated to a forum if it still
fully supported sending posts out by email and receiving them from email.

However, my suggestion would be to review the current archive search
technology and improving it if necessary.  I don't think I follow what
your issues is with it.  Perhaps it is just a bit broken and needs to be
fixed?

Best regards,