[Mapserver-users] List as Forum??

Liz Godwin godwinl at agr.gc.ca
Mon Feb 23 15:51:29 EST 2004

Re (various things)...

>>> Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> 02/23/04 03:25PM >>>
>where, in  a digest or
>forum package, I'd have to spend more time with each piece.

Actually in a forum... you can just not click on the thread and you
won't have to delete/read any of the messages.

e-mail notification..  I agree that it could be nice to have the option
to be notified of incoming messages, although personally I only want
notification if I am contributing to the thread.

searching..  improving search engine may increase my happiness.  while
Google is an interesting option I hadn't thought of..  it doesn't sort
the returned results by any means other than by 'relevance'.  This
doesn't solve my thread sorting, which means I won't use it.

a NNTP service...  would improve my thread following/sorting problem.

In a forum setting, my view is..  that there could be different topics,
helping me narrow down what I read.  Something in a PostGIS group for
example, I might ignore because I don't know PostGIS, even if the title
is obscure.  But if an obscure title were in another group I followed, I
might read it anyway.I have a hard time following threads in a common
group to see what was said.  This usually means I don't contribute to
the list often because I don't have time to read through all the
messages.  And for those who post without interesting keywords..  the
messages will just be ignored.

Anyway, I'm glad this discussion has spawned comments one way or
another.

For an example of a site I like, athough it is very advanced and
overkill for what we'd need, is sitepoint.com
phpBB sites are good too where I have seen them in place.  The out of
the box design is good in itself.

Liz

>>> Gerry Creager <gerry.creager at tamu.edu> 02/23/04 03:25PM >>>
Forum or digest posts are harder for me to filter appropriately.
They're not as convenient from that perspective.  I can read a lot of
mail with the delete key if it's uninteresting, where, in  a digest or