[Mapserver-users] WMS client - multiple entries in "wms_srs"

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 26 14:12:44 EST 2004

Havard Tveite wrote:
> I finally found out the cause of my problems.
> On my platform, in order for Mapserver to be able to determine
> that the map output projection is in the "wms_srs" list (and
> choose that projection when requesting the WMS layer), the map
> output projection has to be specified using lowercase, that is
> "init=epsg:32633" and *not* "init=EPSG:32633".
> At the same time, the projection name in the "wms_srs" list
> has to be specified using upper case, that is
> "wms-srs" = "EPSG:4326 EPSG:32633 ..."
> and *not*
> "wms-srs" = "epsg:4326 epsg:32633 ..."
> (I do not use a PROJECTION object in the WMS layer specification)
>
> I also had to make two copies of the proj.4 epsg file. One called
> EPSG and the other epsg!
>
> Is it only me?

No, it's not only you...

- PROJ uses "init=epsg:32633" in lowercase because the "epsg" in that
case refers to the filename of a PROJ4 init file.  And since filenames
are case sensitive on Unix/Linux, this "epsg" prefix has to be lowercase.

- The WMS specs (the OGC documents) use EPSG:32633 with EPSG in
uppercase.  Since wms_srs is used directly to construct GetCapabilities,
and deal with OGC WMS parameters, it's been implemented to use the
uppercase EPSG prefix.

There is not much that can be done about the "init=epsg:..." case, but
we could possibly make the wms_srs case-insensitive, and/or add a note
about this in the WMS client and server howtos (if there is not already
one).  You could probably file a enhancement bug about that.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca