[Mapserver-users] Finding Features

Gianluigi Nozza gianluigi.nozza at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 27 07:17:22 EST 2004

I would like to incorporate "finding features capabilities" in a test
application created with Maplab but I don't know even where I have to start
from.
Since Maplab does not incorporate such capabilities (and it is too difficult
for me to deal with php scripting)
I am looking on the side of Mapserver.
In other words what I need is:

Ask the user which layer query (i.e. towns)
Get a list of available fields to query
Let the user chose a field and a value
Zooming to the extent of the selected features possibly highligthing the
selected features

Is it possible using Mapserver functions ?
Where can I find a downloadable or accessible demo implementing such or
similar functionality ?
Where I have to work, on the map file ? on the template file ? on both ?
Which functions or commands are involved ?

If you answer be as simple as possible, I am a newbie.