Using virtual datasources ( was Re: [Mapserver-users] MySQL and Mapserver )

Paul Spencer spencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jan 7 15:55:41 EST 2004

All,

several people asked for more info on how to use MySQL in MapServer
without spatial extensions.  Thanks to Frank Warmerdam, this is now
possible using Virtual Data Files via OGR.  I have prepared a wiki page
with as much detail as I have right now, you can find it at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpatialData

Zak will be adding more notes related to ODBC on Linux and some lessons
we learned, later today or tomorrow.

Please be warned that this is not for the faint of heart, you need to be
willing to work out problems with ODBC and your system among others.
However, it does work and we have managed to get it going on Windows and
Linux with MySQL and Oracle flat tables via OBDC with both MapServer 4.0
and 4.1 by recompiling them against a recent CVS checkout of gdal.

Cheers,

Paul
|Paul Spencer                           spencer at dmsolutions.ca    |